Bisibelebath is a classic Kannadiga dish. Visit any of the Darshini hotels or Dosa corners and you are sure to see Bisibelebath as their signature dish. The name Bisi bele bhaath is a phrase, which literally means “Hot Lentil Rice”, as in Kannada, Bisi means hot, bele means Lentils and bath means a dish made of rice. Since is cooked with lentils, vegetables and rice it can be called a one pot meal. Many think it is a very elaborate process but actually it is very simple to make if homemade Bisibelebath Powder is ready in the spice jar. Ok, let’s see how to make Bisibelebath easily.
Ingredients for Bisibelebath :
1 cup Rice (1/2 pav)
1 cup Tuar dal (1/2 pav)
¼ to ½ cup Peanuts
Tamarind – small lemon sized ball
Gud/Jaggery – small lemom size
3 tsp Bisibelebath Powder
2 tbsp oil
3 med size Onions cut in lengthwise
3 med size Tomatoes cut in lengthwise
1 cup Potatoes
1 cup Beans
1 cup Carrots
1 cup Broccoli
½ cup Green peas
Salt as per taste
¼ Coconut cut in length wise (optional)
For tempering :
3 to 4 tbsp ghee or oil
½ to 1 tsp Hing / Asafoetida
3 to 4 dry Byadagi / bedgi red chilies or dry red chilies
2 Stem curry leaves (kadi patta)
Preparation need to be done before starting Bisibelebath:
- Soak Peanut in water for whole night or 8hr before you prepare Bisibelebath (If forgot to soak then soak Peanut in hot water for 1hr)
- Wash and soak the Rice and Dal together with Water 30min to 1 hr (1:6 or 1:5 proportion of Rice+Tuar Dal:Water)
- Soak Tamarind and Gud/Jaggery in water and extract the pulp.
- Mix Bisibelebath Powder in a bowl of water and keep it aside to avoid Bisibelebath Powder lumps in Bisibelebath by adding Bisibelebath Powder directly while cooking.
To prepare Bisibelebath :
- Separate socked Rice and Dal with water and keep this water boiling in another stove to fasten the cooking process.
- Heat oil in Pressure cooker add Onions and fry till onions get translucent then add tomatoes and fry till tomatoes become tender and juicy. Know add all vegetables one by one carrot, potatoes, beans, broccoli, socked peanuts, coconut pieces and green peace and fry for a min.
- Add soaked Rice and Dal and Bisibelebath Powder masala to it and fry for a while. Know add the boiled water, salt and mix well and pressure cook it for 2 whistles. Turn off the heat and allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Meanwhile boil the Tamarind and Gud/Jaggery extract in another stove.
- While we are waiting for the pressure to release, lets proceed to make the tempering.
- Heat a pan add ghee once it hot enough add Hing/Asafoetida, Byadagi red chillies and Curry leaves and roast them until the red chillies are browned lightly. Know open the pressure cooker add the Tamarind and Gud/Jaggery mix and stir all the ingredients together until well combined and the mixture looks like a mish mash. At this stage add in the prepared tempering once again give the Bisibelebath a good stir.
Yummy,hot bisi bele bath is ready. Serve with kara boondi.
Tips / Notes :
- Adjust the salt and Bisibelebath Powder level as per your requirement.
- You can add more Tamarind and Gud/Jaggery if u like sweet and sourness.
- Addition of ghee and Hing at tempering at the end gives a great taste. So don’t skip it.
So try this recipe and write back to us…We love to hear from you.Share This: