Right from my childhood I was brought up eating raw rice and same was the case for my husband. I would not even take even par-boiled rice except of course when added to idli or dosa. You can then imagine how hard it must have been for us to try brown rice. Last time I tried to include Brown rice in our diet but the result no one eat food. After this situation until now, I have not had the courage to replace white rice with brown rice in any rice dish. However, as I am a very nutrition and health conscious cook, I knew I had to find them a place in our diet. The fiber in brown rice is said to help prevent colon cancer and gallstones. Brown rice has a lower glycemic index meaning it will release its caloric content slower and hence keeps one fuller for longer and also helps maintain stable sugar levels. For the world of benefits it offers I thought it to be appropriate to combine it with few other goodies. I experimented with using brown rice to make Idli – Dosa batter…never going back to using white rice ever again!!
Well Idli – Dosa batter (using any type of rice) is something that comes in handy on busy days. You can prepare batter for some 3-4 days and you are well in a meal within 10 mins. To prepare this you have to plan it well because you need almost a whole day for soaking and a whole night for fermenting. But trust me once u make this batter your life will become more easier for next 3 to 4 days to prepare breakfast or dinner.
Ingredients for Brown Rice Idli – Dosa Batter :
1 cup Idli Rice
3 cup Brown Rice
1 cup whole black gram (urad dal, skinned)
½ cup Beaten Rice / Poha
2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
Salt as per Taste
Water to grind the batter
To prepare Brown Rice Idli – Dosa Batter :
- Soak the Black gram / udad dal and Fenugreek seeds together in a bowl and rice and Beaten Rice / Poha separately in another bowl for at least 4 hours.
- You can either use Mixie or wet grinder to grind the Batter. I used wet grinder for making it.
- First grind Black gram / udad dal and Fenugreek seeds mixture by adding required amount of water by checking frequently start with a glass of water. It takes 15 to 20 min to grind the udad dal.
- Switch off the wet grinder add socked Rice and Beaten Rice / Poha to dal batter ad start grinding by adding required amount of water by checking frequently. When the rice is almost grinded transfer it to a big container.
- Set the batter to ferment overnight. Mix the batter well and take out the required amount of batter and add salt to it and mix well to prepare Idli or Dosa. Keep the remaining batter in the refrigerator. When ever need to use the refrigerated batter add salt to it and make Idli or Dosa by using the same.
Tips / Notes:
- For entire Batter u can add salt before fermentation. But I prefer to add salt before using the batter to avoid further fast fermentation process. (when u keep in the fridge it gets ferment too)
- U can grind dals and rice separately. But I prefer to grind together.
- If more Fenugreek seeds are added batter gets bitter taste.
- First day use this batter to prepare Idli.
- Use this batter from second day to prepare dosa by adding required amount of water.
- If you are in Cold country, it won’t ferment, so leave it in your oven with the oven lights on. This will help the batter to ferment well.
- U can use 4 cups of brown rice for this batter without adding pre boiled rice to make more healthier.
So try this recipe and write back to us…We love to hear from you.