Wishing you all a Very Happy Sankranthi/Pongal. Sankranthi is typically celebrated on the 14th or 15th of January every year. This festival commemorates the beginning of the harvest season in India and is celebrated with major fanfare.
There is a saying in Kannada “Ellu bella thindu olle maathadi” which means ‘Eat the mixture of sesame seeds and jaggery and speak only good’. So Ellu bella has got its own importance in Sankranthi festival. It’s considered as goodies and is must prepared in Mysore, Bangalore regions.
It’s very simple and easy to make. 5 ingredients jaggery, sesame seeds, ground nut, dried coconut and fried gram which goes into this Ellu bella signifying the season of harvest.
1/2 Cup Sesame Seeds
1/2 Cup Jaggery/ Bella (acchu Bella preferred)
1/3 Cup Fried Gram
1 Cup peanuts
1 big dry Coconut
To prepare Ellu bella:
- Chop Jaggery into small pieces and keep them under sun to dry and firm up a little.
- Clean Fried Gram by removing all broken and ‘ill-fitting’ pieces.
- Dry roast peanuts in a pan. Remove outer cover of it and slit them into half.
- Scrap the dry coconut skin and cut into small pieces.
- Dry roast white sesame seeds on medium heat.
- Mix all the above ingredients and pack them in small packs. Share them with friends and relatives on the eve of Sankranti.
Tips / Notes:
- Make sure not burn any ingredients while frying.
- U can adjust the above mentioned ingredients as per Individual requirements.
So try this recipe and write back to us…We love to hear from you.