With its distinctive texture and tangy taste, buttermilk is one drink which has to be a part of your meal specially during summers. Buttermilk is a pro biotic food and has great health benefits.
Here are a few health benefits of the drink:
- Buttermilk has acid in it which fights germs and bacteria and helps clear stomach and aid digestion.
- It is very helpful for those who are looking to lose weight.
- It is a rich source of Vitamin B12 and so is believed to help fight anemia and stress.
- Since it contains electrolytes and lots of water, it is the best treat to give to your body to fight dehydration.
- After having a heavy, oily and spicy meal, buttermilk works best to drain out excessive fat from the body and making your stomach light.
- Buttermilk also works as one of the best remedies to treat acidity.
- It will maintain your body temperature cool by having it regularly after the lunch.
Ingredients to prepare Buttermilk / Majjige :
1 cup Home made Curd / Plain yogurt
4-5 cups of cold water / Normal water
1 inch piece of ginger (peeled and crushed)
4 to 5 curry leaves cut into small pieces
Salt as per taste
To preare Buttermilk / Majjige :
- Take Home made Curd / Plain yogurt in a big bowl. Add salt, crushed ginger, curry leaves and salt churn/whisk it using a hand whisk or a traditional wooden whisk (called kadegolu / month in Kannada)
- Once the yogurt is homogeneous, add water to bring it to the desired consistency, mix well. Healthy Buttermilk / Majjige is ready to cool our body.
- Keep aside for 20-30 minutes, serve chilled. You can sieve the buttermilk through a tea strainer to make a clear liquid. Longer you set it aside, the flavors of ginger and curry leaves get incorporated better.
Tips / Notes:
- Use chopped mint or cilantro in place of curry leaves.
- U can add seasoning to enhance the taste of the buttermilk.
- If you have a garlic crush, add a clove or two to the seasoning.
- Crushed ajwain /carom seeds / bishop’s weed imparts a wonderful flavor in buttermilk.
- Adding fried and crushed cumin seeds / Jeera will help to improve the digestion.
- U can add crushed green chilies to get spicy buttermilk.
So try this recipe and write back to us…We love to hear from you.