Sabjiwala In India depending on how often you bought from him or how well you knew him, for less price would hand you some green chillies, kadipatta, cilantro, a small piece of ginger and if you haggled enough, he might throw in a lemon too. Some time we get more cilantro or kadipatta, in addition to a lemon, as a reward of loyalty if buy on a daily basis.
No Sabjiwala in the Indian grocery store or Mustaffa. Just open bins with produce or packed in plastic covers. No mix and match either. I don’t shop every week either. So my green chillies need to last between 4 to 5 weeks. I don’t like to freeze green chillies as I feel they lose their flavor. I prefer the fresh green chillis.
Ingredients required to Store Green chillies :
Fresh Green Chillies
Plastic container / ziploc cover
To Store Green chillies :
- Snap off the stem and discard it. At this stage discard the brownish or spoiled green chillies too.
- Take a plastic container place paper towel and put green chillies and cover with one more paper towel before closing the lid (to avoid getting more moisture) then refrigerate them. Or wrap them in paper towels, put them in a ziploc cover and refrigerate them.
- Green chillis are ready to stay fresh for more than a month. Mean while in between check for any browning and spoilage to discard but I no longer waste as many chillies as I did earlier.
Tips / Notes:
- Green chillies are known to have bacteria around the stem. This leads to early spoilage. So as soon as u bring home, snap off and discard the stems.
- Make sure to wash green chillies before using them for cooking.
Health Benefits of Green Chillies :
- Green chilies are very rich in Vitamin C, which plays an important role in absorption of other vitamins in the body.
- They are strong anti-oxidants and prevent against free radicals.
- Green chilies are rich in dietary fiber which is important for a healthy digestive system.
- They are rich in Vitamin A, which in turn is very good for your eyes and skin.
- According to some studies, green chilies are responsible of reduction in blood sugar levels and can be a boon to diabetics.
- Some studies suggest that Capsaicin, a chemical found in green chilies helps fight against prostrate cancer.
- Green chilies being good anti-oxidants, are good for skin as they help fight against acne and pimples.
- Capsaicin can be an anti-depressant as it releases endorphins ( hormones for good mood ) into the brain.
- Green chilies help prevent lung cancer according to some researches, but there is no solid evidence of it yet.
- The anti-bacterial property of green chilies help keep our body worm free.
So try this Useful Tips and write back to us…We love to hear from you.