Well Idli – Dosa batter is something that comes in handy on busy days. You can prepare batter for some 3-4 days and you are well in a meal within 10 mins. To prepare this you have to plan it well because you need almost a whole day for soaking and a whole night for fermenting. But trust me once u make this batter your life will become more easier for next 3 to 4 days to prepare breakfast or dinner.
Ingredients for Idli – Dosa Batter :
2 cup Idli Rice
2 cup normal rice
1 cup whole black gram (urad dal, skinned)
½ cup Beaten Rice / Poha
½ cup sago/sabudana
2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
Salt as per Taste
Water to grind the batter
To prepare Idli – Dosa Batter :
1. Soak the Black gram / udad dal and Fenugreek seeds together in a bow and the rice separately in another bowl for at least 4 hours.
2. Soak the Beaten Rice / Poha and sago / sabudana together in a bowl for just ½hr before grinding.
3. You can either use Mixie or wet grinder to grind the Batter. I used wet grinder for making it.
4. First grind Black gram / udad dal and Fenugreek seeds mixture by adding required amount of water by checking frequently start with a glass of water. It takes 15 to 20 min to grind the udad dal.
5. Switch off the wet grinder add Rice, Beaten Rice / Poha and sago/sabudana together to dal batter ad start grinding by adding required amount of water by checking frequently. When the rice is almost grind ed transfer it to a big container.
6. Set the batter to ferment overnight. Mix the batter well and take out the required amount of batter and add salt to it and mix well to prepare Idli or Dosa. Keep the remaining batter in the refrigerator. When ever need to use the refrigerated batter add salt to it and make Idli or Dosa by using the same.
Tips / Notes:
- For entire Batter u can add salt before fermentation. But I prefer to add salt before using the batter to avoid further fast fermentation process. (when u keep in the fridge it gets forment too)
- U can grind dals and rice separately. But I prefer to grind together.
- If more Fenugreek seeds are added batter color won’t be white.
- First day use this batter to prepare Idli.
- From second day prepare dosa by adding required amount of water.
- If you are in Cold country, it won’t ferment, so leave it in your oven with the oven lights on. This will help the batter to ferment well.
- U can prepare Idli_Dosa batter by omitting sago/sabudana and Beaten Rice / Poha.
So try this recipe and write back to us…We love to hear from you.Share This: