This is one of my favorite bajji. Whenever I visit my in-laws place they prepare this for me and serve them hot with chai. Know I started to do it myself. There is another version which is Stuffed Mirchi bajji . Will share that soon as well. Especially when it’s raining outside, a cup of tea along with a bowl of hot Mirchi bajji / Stuffed Mirchi bajji is a wow moment.!!
Ingredients for Mirchi bajji:
8 to 10 Bajji Mirchi / long green chilis
1 cup Gram flour / Besan flour
2 to 3tbsp Rice flour
1 tsp Red chili powder
1/2 tsp Ajwain
¼ tsp baking powder
Salt to taste.
Oil to fry (I used sunflower oil)
To prepare Mirchi bajji:
- Take Green chillies, wash and slit them and remove the seeds inside and keep it aside.
- Take a bowl add Gram flour / Besan flour, rice flour, salt, Ajwain, baking powder and a tsp of oil and mix well. Now by adding required amount of water make a batter which is not very watery as well as thick.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a kadai (with medium flame). When it’s ready , dip chili in the prepared batter. Make sure that the chili is coated well with the batter. Now deep-fry the chilies 4 at a time till they turn golden brown in color.
- Hot Mirchi Bajji is ready to serve. Serve hot with Tomato sauce or simply with Tea.
- If oil temperature is too low, the dough would actually sink and if you still keep frying, it would suck too much oil. Will melt and mess your oil. Remedy – No escape, let the oil cool completely, drain the wastage and start again.
- By mistake if you add more water then bajjis will absorb more oil. Its OK, but in order to make them crispy, the dough should be just about firm. Remedy – Add extra rice flour and Besan flour, adjust salt and try again.
- Do not fry them too long, when they are evenly browned, the vigorous bubbles will settle and that’s the right time to remove.
- Its better to consume when they or hot else slowly become soft after that.
- You may add mint leaves which gives a nice twist in taste.
- U can add ½ tsp Ginger Garlic paste for extra flavor.
- Instead of Ajwain u can add Hing / Asafetida.
- Adjust salt and spice level as per your taste buds.
So try this recipe and write back to us…We love to hear from you.