Mushrooms – Enjoyed for its taste and texture, mushrooms are cooked in various ways and incorporated in an array of dishes that range from the usual to the exotic. Mushrooms are not only tasty, but they also have lots of health benefits. Mushrooms seem to occupy a special place in our food preferences. Magic mushrooms tend to absorb the flavors of the seasoning and taste great as snacks, appetizers and main dishes. So here I am using Mushroom sprouts in my Vegetable Upma to increase its Nutritional Value and Its a good nutritious breakfast to start our day too…
Ingredients for Mushroom sprouts Upma / Uppittu :
1 Cup of Rava or Sooji (cream of wheat)
2 to 2 1/2 cup water
2 tablespoon of oil
1 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp cumin seed
1 tbsp black gram dal (washed) or Dhuli Urad
1 tbsp Channa dal
1/4 cup finely chopped Mushroom Sprouts
1 small size onion
3 green chillies or as per taste
1 stem chopped curry leaves
1/2 Cup of mixed vegetables such as Carrots grated, frozen Green peas
Salt to taste
Optional Garnish : with roasted Cashews
To prepare Mushroom sprouts Upma / Uppittu :
1. Roast Rava or Sooji in a non-stick pan till golden brown. Keep it aside.
2. In a kadai put oil then add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, black Gram Dal or Dhuli Urad, channa dal and fry till dal gets golden in color.
3. Put chopped onions, green chillies and curry leaves. When onion turns brown add the vegetables, Mushroom Sprouts and fry for a while.
4. Then add water and salt and cook till water boils. then add Rava or Sooji.
To avoid lumps keep on stirring the Upma / Uppittu till all the water is absorbed. Serve hot with any choice of your chutney or curd.
5. If desired add roasted cashews before serving.
Tips / Notes:
- To prepare Vegetable Upma / Vegetable Uppittu u can use Homemade Ghee / Clarified Butter / Neyyi instead of oil to enhance the taste.
- Fry Rava or Sooji and store it in a jar to prepare recipe in no time, so that u can omit the first step.
Health Benefits :
1. Mushrooms are low in calories as well as fat and sodium. These also have lots of fiber, which on the whole, makes it a good food option for hypertensive.
2. Mushrooms also have copper, and this makes it a hot shot food for the heart.
3. Packed with potassium, mushrooms are good for lowering high blood pressure and cuts down the risk of stroke.
4. Mushrooms are also said to be good for the eyesight, blood circulation, migraines, tumors, cancer and impotency.
So try this recipe and write back to us…We love to hear from you.Share This: