Ragi, also known as finger millet is a dark brown/red colour cereal. Being low in calories and rich in nutrition, it’s a wonderful food for all. 20 grams serving of ragi provides 66kcal of energy. Packed with calcium, iron, amino acids and anti-oxidants, ragi is truly a natural wonder. I learnt this recipe from Maavoorivanta program. Thanks to MAA tv for telecasting such wonderful dishes…..
Ingredients for Ragi Vada / Ragi Vadalu :
1 Cup – Ragi flour
1 cup – channa dal
1/2 cup – urad dal
4 to 5 – chopped Green chillies
3 – med Onions Finely chopped
1 stem – Curry leaves
1/4 cup – Coriander Leaves
1 to 1 1/2 tsp – Coriander seeds
Salt as per taste
Oil for deep frying
To prepare Ragi Vada / Ragi Vadalu :
1. Wash and Soak channa dal, urad dal for atleast 2 hours and make a coarse paste by adding 4 to 5 green chillies in wet grinder or mixi then add Ragi flour to this.
2. Finely chop Onions, Curry leaves, Coriander Leaves, Green chillies.
3. In a vessel, Combine all the ingredients and 2 tsp oil and mix well by adding required amount of water to make vada batter consistency. Don’t add much water.
4. Heat enough oil in a deep frying vessel and take a small dough in hand and flatten it slowly with your fingers and drop it slowly in the oil. Don’t overcrowd the vessel. Fry till it becomes crispy.
5. Drain excess oil in a paper towel and repeat the same steps for the next batch. Serve hot with tea/coffee.
Tips / Notes:
· If you have any Left Over Veggies like Carrot Beans, Peas, you can include them also here to increase the nutritious values.
· Apply some oil on your palm so that you can flatten the vada easily.Share This: